Pages

Thursday, February 17, 2011

The big Service Trip is due

The next service trip is due and this is a big one. Once a year, we are committed  to change every motor bearing in every motor on every job in the Territory whether it need to or not. This one would have to be dreamt up by some inexperienced public servant in Canberra. It meant we would be away for at least three months. Dave calls me into the office and asks me if I would stay on at least until this service trip is completed. I agree.
We have to change bearings

Ted is working with Willie in Madang, so we need another refrigeration mechanic. Brisbane is advised and they send a young South African lad, Philip Heledon, just out of his apprenticeship. He moves in with Werner and me and sleeps in the common room. He is a skinny, lanky young lad with red hair, a big red nose and a South African accent. Him and his family haven’t been in Australia long. We soon find out, Philip is extremely tight with his money, we are sure his pockets are permanently sewn together.

He is to accompany me on our big service trip to all the sites in the Territory and check the refrigeration systems as well as help me change all the bearings. Hundreds of motor bearings are ordered and shipped to all the major ports for us to collect.

No comments:

Post a Comment