Pages

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Our Boss has a problem with the Truth

Next Saturday, the same thing happens. I get to work and around eleven o’clock, Urs calls and invites us back to his club. This time we drive in our own cars, we don’t want a repeat of last Saturday’s performance at the gate. At the club we do the same, eat, drink and play snooker, all on time and a half. Urs talks Swiss-German to Werner and me and tells us his father was the Lord Mayor of Winterthur and that they own Radio Steiner, one of Switzerland’s largest Radio and Television Retailers.

Around four o’clock Urs asks Werner and me to go to his flat and pick up his car keys. He claims to have forgotten them and says he came to the workshop by cab that morning. He says he’s got friends coming over tonight and he needs to take some cartons of booze with him later. We drive there in my car and find the flat in a mess. I need to go to the loo and find a plate of food on the cistern with a half-eaten t-bone steak on it. The bedroom is a pigsty clothes everywhere and when we look in the fridge there is only a can of beer, some butter and a bottle of milk that had gone sour, nothing else.

What’s he going to feed his guests, Werner asks. A can of beer, some butter and a bottle of milk that had gone sour, nothing else, I reply.
We find a stuffed turtle in his flat

In the lounge room under the TV is a large stuffed turtle. I wonder where he got that. It doesn’t look like anything Australian.

We grab his car keys and return to the club, I ask Urs where he got the stuffed turtle from. Ah, he says that’s a long story. He tells us when he was in New Guinea, on the other side of the island, a Native took him on a safari through the jungle and after some days working their way through the dense growth, they came to this beautiful river full of these turtles. He hunted one of them with a spear and the local villages stuffed it for him. He then carried it back to his  hotel and brought it back to Port Moresby in the airplane. It sounds exciting

Later, Urs is very drunk and in no fit way to drive home. We load him into my car and drive him home to his flat. What time are your guests arriving, I ask him, what guests, he asks back. He mumbles something and falls asleep. Werner and I carry him upstairs and dump him onto his bed.

We drive to Fortitude Valley and go for a meal at a Chinese Restaurant.

Werner says, I must ask my father if he knows Urs, Good Idea I agree.  It has now been a few times I have caught Urs lying to me. Why?

It’s not long after that; Werner gets a letter from his Dad. He made some inquiries, there is nobody by the name of Deutsch in the management of Steiner Radio and he sends a list of all the Lord Mayors of Winterthur dating back to the First World War. My suspicions are right, our boss is liberal with his truths.


No comments:

Post a Comment