Pages

Sunday, January 16, 2011

New Guinea Beckons

Urs mentions they need another electrician in New Guinea, one with a proper license. There is already a Swiss Electrician up in New Guinea, but he hasn’t got his full license yet so they need someone up there so they don’t lose their Contractors’ License. He wants me to go up there until they find someone permanent for three weeks and to help out on a few projects.

I think about it, Ben’s gone to Sydney, there is really nothing stopping me from going up there for three weeks, so I agree.

Urs informs me that although there is a Manager in New Guinea, I am not to take any notice of him, I’d still be answering to him in Brisbane. Ok with me, I say.
My TPNG Entry Permit

Carriers are organising me a Territorial Entry Permit and I get some shots for this and that, plus I buy a large bottle of Malaria Tablets and another of Salt Tablets apparently required if you live in New Guinea.

I finalise my affairs in Brisbane, store my stuff at Ray’s, cancel the flat, stop the electricity and have a last drink with people I know. My gay neighbour next door tells me I’ll be wearing white shorts and white shirts and long white socks with white shoes in New Guinea. We’ll see.

I say good-bye to Fred, Sue and Shelley and Ray and Zenya and the work mates at the workshop and leave Australia for three weeks.



2 comments:

  1. What a surprise you have in store. I'm glad you were sent to New Guinea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the good old sixties hey Bill

    was nice to be able to just go and explore new spaces of this planet etc.
    I got tied down after few a just a few weeks in Oz here for some reason.

    Not bad however these were good times that I fondly remember

    Good work Bill
    Martin

    ReplyDelete