Pages

Friday, January 28, 2011

Harry has to be sorted out

          I finish the army project within a few days and ask Willie what I should do. He says, if you like, go to start the Medical College, and he drives me there.

        My old mate Harry is there with Freddy Henshaw who was in Mt Isa with me, singing opera, Harry instructs me they are running behind with the ductwork erection and needs me to help him hang up ductwork, before starting the electrical installation. He really is trying it on with me. I tell him no way, that I wasn’t sent up here by the company to install ductwork. I remind him, in case he doesn’t know that I’m holding the electrical license that keeps Carrier Air Conditioning’s Electrical Contractors’ License. I tell him, that If I go back to Brisbane, the company is in trouble and they would have to send another qualified electrician up from Brisbane. He storms out and into his ute swearing and carrying on.

Freddy laughs and tells me not to worry, 'He’s all hot air' he smiles. 'He's the only on who thinks he's second in charge'. But a few minutes later he returns with Dave Scott in tow. 'Now refuse', Harry shouts.

'Do you really want me to hang ductwork', I ask Dave Scott. 'Well, hmm, what you think', he asks me. I point out to Dave that I’m an electrician, I have no idea how to assemble and hang up ductwork and remind him as well that I hold the license that keeps the Contractors’ License for the company in New Guinea.

'Yeah, I suppose you’re right', he agrees. Harry is shaking with rage. He is cursing and swearing but I don’t understand a word of his Irish brogue.

I am finally able to start my own job which is wiring the air conditioning installation. It’s a large building and we’re there for some weeks, always having lunch at the top pub in Port Moresby.


1 comment:

  1. You were a bit cheeky. I guess a stubborn streak comes in handy at times.

    ReplyDelete