Pages

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The Chain Of Command

        Monday morning after breakfast at Bev’s, we drive to Carriers Office in Boroko. I meet Ann Tussle, the secretary in the outer office. Then Dave Stott, the Manager arrives in the office. Dave is a nice gentleman and asks me to take a seat in his office. He informs me that I would be answerable to the sheetmetal foreman Harry Browne and would be required to do everything Harry tells me to do.

      'I don’t think so', I say. Dave is taken aback, 'Why not?' he asks. 'I'm not taking orders from a sheetmetal worker', I stubbornly declare 'and in any case, Urs told me I’m answerable to him in Brisbane'.

      'Urs'! he explodes, 'what the hell has Urs got to do with the New Guinea operation'? 'He told me I’m to answer to him and nobody else' I insist. 'We’ll see about that', he says. 'For now I want you to go with Willie to the Papuan Medical College and start wiring the air conditioning there'.

      I’m confused. Who am I to obey. Urs, Dave Stott or this Harry Browne? Willie told me not to worry, just do as you wish, nobody takes any notice of either Harry or Dave, just do what you feel is right. I’m still confused.

      With that, Willie and I drive to the company store which is not at  the same place as the office, grab some materials and drive to the Army base, where we were the day before.

      Willie drops me off with the material, a set of plans and drives off. 'I’ll pick you up before lunch', he says and disappears through the camp.

      I start working out what is what and get started with the electrical installation. It is very hot and humid and within an hour I’m soaked to the skin in perspiration.

      Just before lunch the ute arrives as promised and we take off to Port Moresby for lunch. There we meet the other Carrier people including Harry Browne an Irishman, who asks me why I didn’t come to the Papuan Medical Centre as he had instructed Dave to tell me. I tell him I’m working at the Army Base. 'That’s not what I want you to do', he says.

     I can see a confrontation coming up but it has to be sorted. 'I’m not going to take orders from a sheetmetal worker'. I tell him, if he wants me to work with him, he'll need an electrical license. 'We’ll see about that', he says.

      I’m starting to feel bad for being obstinate but I feel very strongly about that but so does Harry with his Irish temperament. He insists he is Carrier’s foreman in New Guinea, second in charge to Dave Stott, the rest of the blokes around us burst out laughing and tell Harry to sit down and behave himself. He sits down and shuts up, but he is fuming.

      

No comments:

Post a Comment